For purchases made at stores registered as tax-free shops, the 8% consumption tax is refunded for purchases of ¥5,000 and above.
Articles in this section
- You often see“ duty free” at airports and other locations. What is the difference between Tax-free and Duty-free?
- Can I get both the liquor tax and consumption tax refunded at a sake brewery?
- I left my passport at my hotel. Can I apply for tax exemption tomorrow?
- Is it true that purchases made at shopping malls and shopping streets can be consolidated for tax exemption purposes?
- I understand that liquids cannot be brought onto the airplane, so how can I apply for tax exemption for cosmetics and so on?
- If I don’t get an entry stamp on my passport because I use the automatic gates when entering Japan, am I still eligible for tax exemption?
- What is the eligibility for tax refunds?
- Are credit cards widely accepted? Would you recommend bringing cash or credit cards?
- What can I bring through Customs?
- Where do I find tax free shops?